A conversation with Christopher Hitchens: How Pittsburgh Made Me

February 27, 2011

Pitt professor Colin MacCabe talks to his longtime friend about the subtle influences of Pittsburgh over the years.

"In April of last year I drove down to stay with my old friend Christopher Hitchens in Washington. He had just received press copies of his memoir "Hitch-22" and I stayed up all night reading it. The next morning I told him that the first two chapters on his mother and father were among the most affecting prose that I had ever read in English."
Read more (post-gazette.com)

First published on February 27, 2011

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christopher is a very photogenic man, but very few photos do his beautiful blue eyes justice. Nice account of his life pre911.

angrysoba said...

Listen to a bit of Simple Minds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8uHbUUrjJ0

Anonymous said...

Nice article. I didn't know Hitch taught at U Pitt. Anyone know if he taught anywhere else besides U Pitt and the New School?

Anonymous said...

I was born and raised in this fantastic city and still live here today. It would be one of the highest points in my life if Hitchens were to come back for an event. I am 28 now and wasn't old enough when he was here or appearing at the Warhol, I am saddened that I came a decade too late.

FGFM said...

Screw the Pirates!

Anonymous said...

For anyone who's curious, the taller university building in Russia to which he refers is certainly the city-block-sized Moscow State University:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MGU.jpg

 
 
 

Christopher reads from Hitch-22: A Memoir